Tiramisu is a popular Italian dessert known for its rich and creamy layers of coffee-soaked ladyfingers, mascarpone cheese, cocoa powder, and sometimes a touch of liqueur-like Marsala wine or coffee liqueur. It’s a no-bake dessert that’s chilled, making it a delightful treat for coffee and dessert lovers alike.
Here’s a Recipe for Tiramisu:
Tiramisu is a no-bake dessert, so there’s no cooking involved. However, you’ll need at least 4 hours of refrigeration time, preferably overnight, for the flavors to meld and the dessert to set.
For the coffee mixture:
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee, cooled to room temperature
- 2 tablespoons coffee liqueur (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
For the mascarpone filling:
- 8 oz (about 1 cup) mascarpone cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 24-30 ladyfingers (savoiardi)
- Unsweetened cocoa powder, for dusting
- Dark chocolate shavings or cocoa powder (optional, for garnish)
- In a shallow bowl, mix the cooled brewed coffee with the coffee liqueur (if using) and 2 tablespoons of sugar. Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whip the heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form.
- In another bowl, whisk together the softened mascarpone cheese, granulated sugar, and vanilla extract until smooth and well combined.
- Gently fold the whipped cream into the mascarpone mixture until fully incorporated.
- Quickly dip each ladyfinger into the coffee mixture, ensuring they are soaked but not soggy, and arrange them in the bottom of a serving dish or individual dessert glasses.
- Spread half of the mascarpone mixture over the soaked ladyfingers.
- Repeat with another layer of dipped ladyfingers and the remaining mascarpone mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate the tiramisu for at least 4 hours, or preferably overnight, to allow the flavors to meld and the dessert to set.
- Before serving, dust the top with unsweetened cocoa powder and garnish with dark chocolate shavings or more cocoa powder if desired.
Tiramisu is a delicious Italian dessert that’s relatively easy to make, but it does require some patience as it benefits from being refrigerated to develop its flavors and texture fully. The combination of coffee-soaked ladyfingers, creamy mascarpone filling, and cocoa powder creates a delightful balance of flavors and textures. It’s a beloved classic that’s sure to impress your guests and satisfy your sweet tooth. Enjoy!